Nothing says spring like puddles and mud pies and good old-fashioned backyard fun! And if the weather cooperates, outdoor barbecuing and family picnics in the park!
So fire up the grill and try these kid-friendly picnic treats (even if you have to settle for a blanket in the living room)!
Chicken Pasta Salad
4 cups cooked tricolored rotini pasta
4 chicken breasts grilled and cut into chunks (or try boiling chicken then quickly grill for flavour)
1 cup cucumber sliced into small pieces
1 cup diced red, yellow and/or orange peppers
Reduced fat ranch dressing dressing
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and toss. Chill. (This is one of those recipes that always taste better as left overs!)
Frozen Banana Pops
1/2 cup vanilla flavored low-fat yogurt
2 tbsp. Strawberry jam
2 cups oat/wheat flaked cereal, crushed to 1 cup
4 small bananas
4 popsicle sticks
- Put yogurt and jam into a bowl and stir together
- Cut 4 large squares of plastic wrap
- Put 1/4 cup crushed cereal on each plastic wrap square
- Peel bananas and insert popsicle stick in one end of each banana
- Spread each banana with yogurt mixture and roll over crushed cereal
- Wrap each banana in the plastic wrap square. Twist ends to hold. Freeze or refrigerate until ready to eat.
Share your fabulous backyard cooking and picnic recipes and get featured in an upcoming issue of the MOMeo Kitchen!